Realty Network Group is the principal real estate agency in Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA) that features homes for sale in Old Forge, PA. We specialize in matching homebuyers like you with home sellers in the local area. Seeking out homes for sale and REALTORS® in Old Forge, PA might seem like a dreadful task — luckily, we’ve done all the hard work for you. Find homes for sale and learn a little about the local area as well.
Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Old Forge, PA
Facts about Old Forge, PA
Old Forge is a borough in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 7,965 in 2019. It is located 5 miles southwest of downtown Scranton and 12 miles northeast of Wilkes-Barre.
The history of Old Forge can be traced back to 1789 and Dr. William Smith, who was an army surgeon in the American Revolutionary War. During the 1820s, Charles Drake operated the only stagecoach inn between Wilkes-Barre and Carbondale. Drake’s son, Ebenezer, secured a post office for Old Forge in 1848, where he served as postmaster until 1885. On May 26, 1871, Old Forge Township was designated, as it previously had been part of Lackawanna Township. Old Forge Borough was incorporated on May 2, 1899. The borough has a total area of 3.5 square miles.
Immigrants from Italy arrived in the early 1900s to work in the coal mines. Immigration mostly came from Felitto, a mountain town near Salerno. Pizza became the Italian coal miners lunch food. From the 1960s, there was a growth of what has become the borough’s trademark, the pizza business. The origins of selling pizza are believed to be rooted within the Ghigiarelli family, when Mrs. Ghigiarelli used to serve her homemade pizza to coal miners who gathered to play cards. “Old Forge Pizza” is typically rectangular in shape with a balanced sauce and topped with a blend of cheeses – usually mozzarella and white American or mozzarella and mild cheddar – on a crispy thick crust.
Things To Do in and around Old Forge, PA
If you’re looking for houses for sale in Old Forge, PA, you’ll be satisfied to know all that’s nearby. Check out these amenities in the area, including:
- Connell Park: This nearby park is located in Scranton’s South Side, featuring baseball fields, pool, playground and is pet-friendly.
- Montage Mountain Resorts: If you enjoy skiing, snowboarding or snowtubing, give Montage Mountain a try. There’s also the opportunity to plan a day at their waterpark or one of their events (such as their Fall Wine Festival). If you would love to experience a concert featuring some of the biggest names in the recording industry, make sure not to pass up The Pavilion at Montage Mountain.
- Cambell’s Ledge to Falling Springs Reservoir: This 5.1 mile loop trail is within close reach of town. Many beginners and nature aficionados love hiking/walking on this trail.
- Lackawanna River Heritage Trail: The Lower Valley section of the trail goes from Pittston to Taylor and passes right through the Old Forge area. The trail actually goes right down Main Avenue in town. Take a hike and enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes of the area.
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park: If you’re looking to blow off some steam or send your children screaming with excitement, this nearby indoor recreational park features free-style bouncing, exercise programs, dodgeball and more. They’re the originators of wall-to-wall aerial action.
- McDade Park: Visit this famous local park, home to the Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour, where a mine car descends into the tunnels and you can explore them as well.
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders: See the rich history of minor league baseball in our area come alive by taking a short drive to PNC Field to catch a game.
- Old Forge Pizza: We’re not sure it’s the “Pizza Capital of the World,” but Old Forge certain has some great options to taste, including Arcaro & Genell, Revello’s Pizza Cafe, Cafe Rinaldi, Salerno’s Cafe, Mary Lou’s Pizza, Cusumano, Anthony’s, Augustine’s Club 17 and Popsy’s Pizzeria.
School Districts in Old Forge, PA
The Old Forge School District is a diminutive, suburban, public school district serving the municipality of Old Forge, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Scranton in Lackawanna County. The district is one of the 500 public school districts of Pennsylvania. The district encompasses about 3 square miles.
View available properties and houses for sale in the Old Forge School District.
Tools for Homebuyers in Old Forge, PA
It’s not always easy to find houses for sale, but you may find these tools useful:
- Find a Real Estate Agent Near Me: If you are still looking for a property and would like to be assisted all the way through, the right REALTOR® in Old Forge, PA can help you.
- Guide for First-Time Homebuyers: This is a compilation of the best advice for those looking to buy their first home in Old Forge.
- FREE Homebuyer Consultation: Try a no-obligation consultation with an expert REALTOR® to help you find the perfect one among the search results for “homes for sale near me” in Old Forge.
- Homebuyer Frequently Asked Questions: This is a handy resource for anything you need to clarify regarding homebuying in the Old Forge area.
More Real Estate Search Options
Searching online for “houses for sale near me,” or “homes for sale near me,” can take you various places. Fortunately, we’ve researched real estate for all the main areas of NEPA and presented them here for you:
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Archbald, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Carbondale, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Clarks Summit, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Dickson City, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Dunmore, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Factoryville, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Jessup, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Moscow, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Pittston, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Scranton, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Tunkhannock, PA
- Commercial Properties for Sale Near Old Forge, PA
- Lake Houses for Sale Near Scranton, PA