Realty Network Group is the main real estate agency in Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA) that features homes for sale in Carbondale, PA. We specialize in matching homebuyers like you with home sellers in the local area. We can make your home purchase smoother and simpler through our in-depth experience in real estate and marketing tech. Find houses for sale in Carbondale, PA, by browsing our highlighted listings. Learn more about the area below. If you’re interested in a property and would like to schedule a tour, drop by and see us today!
Real Estate and Houses for Sale Carbondale, PA
Facts about Carbondale, PA
Carbondale is a city in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States. Carbondale is located approximately 15 miles due northeast of the city of Scranton in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The population was 8,471 in 2019.
The land area that became Carbondale was developed by William and Maurice Wurts, the founders of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, during the rise of the anthracite coal mining industry in the early 19th century. It was also a major terminal of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. Carbondale was the site of the first deep vein anthracite coal mine in the United States, and was the site of the Carbondale mine fire which burned from 1946 to the early 1970s.
Like many other cities and towns in the region, Carbondale has struggled with the demise of the once-prominent coal mining industry that had once made the region a haven for immigrants seeking work so many decades ago.
Notable firsts: The Delaware and Hudson Gravity Railroad from Carbondale to Honesdale began operations on October 9, 1829. This was the first commercially successful railroad to operate in America. The first Saint Patrick’s Day parade in what is now Lackawanna County is held in Carbondale in 1833. The first eisteddfod (a Welsh musical and literary festival) in America was held in Carbondale on Christmas Day, 1850. Carbondale was incorporated as a city in Luzerne County on March 15, 1851, making it the oldest city (the “Pioneer” city) in what later became Lackawanna County, and the fourth oldest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Things To Do in and around Carbondale, PA
There are plenty of activities for everybody in Carbondale, PA, whether you prefer exploring history, shopping, grabbing a bite to eat or enjoying the outdoors with friends and family.
- Lackawanna Heritage Trail: The Carbondale section of the trail runs from it’s start on Enterprise Drive to the D&H Rail Trail (about 3.25 miles).
- Carbondale Historical Society: This preservation society owns and operates the Historic Log Cabin and the Old Jailhouse and is the steward of the Thompson House Museum. They also maintain a research library comprised of local history books, newspaper articles, memoirs, photos and recorded narratives.
- The Archbald Pothole State Park: This 150-acre park houses a pothole that is 38 feet deep and over 15,000 years old. It has an elliptical shape and could hold a volume of 140,000 gallons.
- Pioneer Nights: This end of summer, annual festival makes the town come alive. There is food, music, vendors, activities for families and more.
- Merli Sarnoski Park: This park rests on 840 acres of open spaces including 15 miles of hiking/biking trails, swimming and boating in the lake (34 acres in size), playground, pavilion complexes and fishing.
- The D&H Rail-Trail: This 38 mile trail runs from the Simpson Viaduct at Route 171, off of Morse Ave, north through Lanesboro to the New York State border, generally following the eastern border of Susquehanna County.
- Maiolatesi Wine Cellars: Arguably the top winery destination in Northeastern Pennsylvania, this family winery features a Tuscan-inspired space for tastings & by-reservation pizza dinners on Fridays. Discover other NEPA wineries here.
- Golf: Nestled between Newton Lake and Crystal Lake, Elkview Country Club (a private club) provides exceptional facilities and full-service golf. Other area courses include Panorama Golf Course, Sleepy Hollow Golf Course, Homestead Golf Course and others.
- Fern Hall Estate: This historic stone house and sheep farm has a pure spring-fed lake with private boathouse, mountain scenery, hiking, skiing, eagles and acres of private estate living. Welcome to the historic former Johnson & Johnson family homestead! This estate is open by private reservation only.
- Lakeland Orchard & Cidery: This orchard and cidery, located in Mayfield, hosts outdoor festivals, live music, plenty of food, apple-picking, attractions for children, tasty treats and then some.
School Districts in Carbondale, PA
The Carbondale Area School District is a small, suburban school district that provides education services to the children residing in the City of Carbondale and Fell Township in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania. The district encompasses an area of 18.6 square miles.
Tools for Homebuyers in Carbondale, PA
Are you having trouble deciding which neighborhood or homes for sale in Carbondale, PA, is best? Check out the following resources:
- Find a Real Estate Agent Near Me: If you are still looking for a property and would like to be assisted all the way through, the right REALTOR® in Carbondale, PA can help you.
- Guide for First-Time Homebuyers: This is a compilation of the best advice for those looking to buy their first home in Carbondale.
- FREE Homebuyer Consultation: Try a no-obligation consultation with an expert REALTOR® to help you find the perfect one among the search results for “homes for sale near me” in Carbondale.
- Homebuyer Frequently Asked Questions: This is a handy resource for anything you need to clarify regarding homebuying in the Carbondale area.
More Real Estate Search Options
If you’re not sure whether Carbondale, PA, is right for you, there are a myriad of other options in Pennsylvania when you search for “houses for sale near me.”
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Archbald, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Clarks Summit, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Dickson City, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Dunmore, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Factoryville, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Jessup, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Moscow, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Old Forge, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Pittston, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Scranton, PA
- Real Estate and Houses for Sale in Tunkhannock, PA
- Commercial Properties for Sale in Carbondale, PA